Understanding your customers is an important part of designing effective EV programs and services. To help you engage with your customers and increase EV adoption in your territory, E Source designed a survey to gather information from three residential customer segments: customers who have an EV, those considering buying one, and those not considering an EV at all.
Topics covered in the 2023 study include:
- Vehicle purchase process, preferences, and trusted sources of information
- Interactions with EVs and dealerships, purchase influences, and barriers to ownership
- EV owner habits including changes to expenses and participation in rate options
- EV charging awareness, habits, and preferences
- Demographics and household information for segmentation
Would you like us to collect data in your territory?
We’re fielding the 2023 Electric Vehicle Residential Customer Survey soon! If you’d like us to field the survey with an oversampling in your service territory, please fill out this form.
What you get
If you’re an E Source member, you’ll get access to reports and webinars related to our study. Your access is determined by the services your utility subscribes to.
If you’re interested in this market research but your utility doesn’t subscribe to an E Source service, please contact us.
- All services will get content about overall survey findings.
- Members of the E Source Distributed Energy Resource Strategy and Mobility Services will get access to the full results from the study and content that focuses on creating effective EV strategies, pilots, programs, and other customer offerings.
- Customer Experience Strategy Service members will get content that focuses on creating an excellent EV customer experience journey.
- Residential Marketing Service members will get content that focuses on effectively reaching customers with appropriate EV marketing campaigns.
We recruit participants using a purchased sample of US and Canadian residential households from global online market research firm Dynata. We set quotas for age, gender, income, and geographic location. We oversample respondents who own or rent a battery electric or plug-in hybrid EV. And we apply postfieldwork weighting on the sample to reflect current EV adoption rates while staying within population norms.
If you’re an E Source member, this link will take you to a review of the 2020 study results. If you’re not currently a member, contact us for information on how to become a member.