The 2019 Utility Ad Awards Contest is now closed. Stay tuned for our announcement of the finalists and join us at the 2019 E Source Forum as we celebrate the winners. For information about the contest or the Forum, contact us.
The E Source Utility Ad Awards Contest is the energy industry’s largest and most comprehensive competition, attracting hundreds of entries. Our goal is to recognize and reward creative excellence in utility advertising.
As we’ve seen from past entries, utility ads can convey all kinds of messages, such as:
- Energy education
- Conservation and energy efficiency
- Environmental stewardship
See the winning ads from previous contests.
Past participants include Southern California Gas Co., Idaho Power, OUC, SMUD, Hydro One, PSE, Tennessee Valley Authority, Manitoba Hydro, KCP&L, FortisBC, Toronto Hydro, and more.
What we’re looking for
We want to see:
- Ad campaigns targeted to residential or business customers
- Ad campaigns with a record of success with your utility audiences
- Clear messages with a visual appeal
- Ad campaigns promoting your utility’s brand, programs, or services
Last year, we announced new award categories focused on topical areas instead of media type. We’ll use this approach again in 2019. When you consider which ad campaigns to submit this year, think about the types of ads you’re running across categories like efficiency programs, electric vehicles, self-service, outages, rates, and more. We suggest including multiple pieces of content with your ad campaign so we can more accurately judge its merits.
Our award categories are:
- Energy-efficiency and demand-response programs
- Solar, storage, electric vehicles, and electrification
- Safety and emergency or outage communications
- Home energy management and smart home
- Self-service (bill pay, start or stop service, etc.)
We recommend reviewing our submission checklist (PDF) before you enter the contest.
Why should you participate? You’ll get great exposure!
We’ll not only post the winning ads on our website, but we’ll also announce the award winners at the 2019 E Source Forum during a special awards ceremony. Winners can also expect:
- An E Source press release announcing the winners
- Social media announcements via Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and our blog
- A winners logo for your utility to publish on your website and in your marketing materials
Terms. Read the E Source Utility Ad Awards Contest Submission Terms.
Eligibility. This competition is open to any electric and gas utility located in the United States (the “United States” or “U.S.”), the District of Columbia, or Canada. Advertising agencies or related organizations may submit on behalf of a client utility operating in the stipulated areas. Ads that were created, produced, and published anytime from June 1, 2018, through June 1, 2019, are eligible for consideration.
Fees. There is no cost to participate.
Contest deadlines. The 2019 E Source Utility Ad Awards Contest begins on April 1, 2019, and ends at midnight on May 3, 2019. No late entries will be accepted.
Multiple entries. There’s no limit to the number of ads you can submit. In fact, we strongly encourage that your ad campaign includes multiple pieces of content.
Awards. All awards will be issued in the name of the utility. Awards will be presented at the 2019 E Source Forum during an awards ceremony. You need not be present to win—but, trust us, you’ll want to be there!