The utility-provided products and services that most SMB customers are interested in are:
- HVAC systems
- Power monitoring
- Energy management consulting
According to our 2019 survey, close to 50% of respondents have already participated in an HVAC program.
SMB participation rates for power monitoring and energy management consulting are less than 20%, even though SMB customers are more interested in them than in other revenue-generating products and services (figure 1). Utilities need to figure out how to turn program interest into program enrollment.
You can improve participation rates in your revenue-generating products and services by:
- Surveying your SMB customers to find out which products and services they’re most interested in.
- Benchmarking these programs against your current participation levels to determine where to focus your marketing efforts.
- Customizing your revenue-generating products and services by business sector so SMB customers feel like they’re getting a personalized program.
- Creating email marketing campaigns that point out SMB customers’ pain points and offering your revenue-generating products and services as a solution.
By offering products and services that customers want and tailoring the offerings to their needs, you can help SMB customers save energy and money. And you will improve your relationship with them.
If you’re curious about how to improve participation from large business customers, check out our data snapshot Are you recommending the right products and services to your large business customers?
For more information about the Business Customer Satisfaction Study or this data, call us at 1-800-ESOURCE (1-800-376-8723) or email us.