Understanding your customers is an essential part of an effective strategy for distributed energy resources (DERs). To help you better understand your customers’ opinions and behaviors related to DER technologies, E Source annually conducts in-depth residential customer market research. This unique market research, available to members of the E Source Distributed Energy Resource Strategy Service, enables utilities to better engage their residential customers and develop strategies, programs, and communications that support their customers’ DER-related needs.
Topics covered in the 2019 study include:
- Awareness, technology adoption, and program participation related to solar, electric vehicles (EVs), battery storage, and building electrification
- Willingness to participate in utility programs related to battery storage and EVs
- Accuracy of the information received from solar, EV, battery storage and electrification technology providers or installers
- Rate-related preferences for different technologies
- Approach to purchasing or participating in programs with bundled or integrated technology options
The 2019 online survey included 7,496 residential customers in the US (n = 6,696) and Canada (n = 800). Participants were over the age of 18 and responsible for paying their utility bill. The sample included quotas for age, gender, low-income participants, and the states or provinces. Postfieldwork weighting on the North American sample was applied to reflect Canada’s and each US state’s share of households in the total survey area.
If you’re interested in this market research, but your utility does not subscribe to the E Source Distributed Energy Resource Strategy Service, please contact us.
If you’re a subscriber, these links will take you to the study deliverables. If you’re not currently a subscriber, you may contact us for information on membership to pertinent E Source services.