Sometimes in life, big changes creep up on us. They evolve so slowly, and so subtly, that one day we look around and realize those changes are here.
For the energy world, that’s an apt description of 2017.
Technologies and trends that made headlines in 2017 include:
- Batteries and electric vehicles, which came onto the grid in higher numbers than ever before
- Switched-reluctance motors
- Automated savings verification
- Voice-activated smart home systems
- Deeper market penetration of energy-efficient technologies, with one example being LEDs, a technology on the verge of becoming the baseline general-purpose lighting technology
Although no trend lasts forever, we expect the energy industry to continue advancing toward cleaner, smarter, more-efficient, and more-customer-responsive energy systems.